The Dangote Group – a Nigerian multinational industrial conglomerate – together with Chinese commercial vehicle manufacturer Sinotruk, has established a $100-million (about R1,3-billion) truck assembly plant in Lagos, Nigeria.

“The plant has the capacity to produce about 10 000 trucks annually, and has created 3 000 jobs in direct employment,” says Dangote Group Chief Communication Officer Anthony Chiejina.

The partnership between the Dangote Group and Sinotruck was formed in 2014, with the former owning a 60% stake in the assembly plant, while the Chinese manufacturer holds the remaining 40%.

Chiejina said once fully operational, the plant would have the capacity to meet Nigeria’s anticipated truck demand, as well as the ability to export into neighbouring countries.